"For the German dances the strings were joined by a stately basso continuo..." (February 9, 1814)

The Musical Reminiscences of the Earl of Mount Edgcumbe, published in 1834, offer a great deal of helpful information. This is how I know some German dances were usually included in the playbill at the Academy of Ancient Music. You will find these and all other pieces in the story in the Independent Heart soundtrack.



Claire is a bit muddled here. The orchestra for Corelli's concerto grosso also includes a continuo group, but she seems to think "continuo" is another word for harpsichord. We can hardly blame her, however, since the group playing the part of the music referred to as "basso continuo", the bassline and chord progression, often includes a harpsichord. If the continuo group for the Corelli did not – a theorbo, guitar or harp would also work –, this would explain her blunder. My thanks to my Uncle Michael for explaining all this! I hope I've got it right; any errors are, of course, entirely my own.

Comments

Popular Posts