"The concert began with a Corelli..." (February 9, 1814)

The Corelli played at the Concert of Ancient Music attended by Claire and Justin is the Concerto Grosso in D, op. 6/1. You'll find it in my playlist on YouTube – as well as a splendid performance in La Coruña by the Orquesta Sinfónica de Galicia under Ton Koopman of Corelli’s best-known Concerto Grosso, op. 6/8. 
 

Hugh Howard, Arcangelo Corelli (1653–1713)

courtesy The Stirling Smith Art Gallery & Museum


 
This always makes me cry because the Adagio (5:40) was played at my beloved great-aunt Elizabeth’s funeral. So this is not the piece I was thinking of while writing, but I’m including the link because Pepe hails from Galicia. He and Justin met when Justin stumbled into his village after losing his regiment during the retreat on La Coruña, where Sir John Moore famously met his fate... But more of that later.

 
 

Comments

Popular Posts